What to do...

    I think I need to join a club. The Quakers and Fabians, the anarchists and free-thinkers of The Chikdren's Book have a sense of community, shared goals, topics of interest and I assume, open discussions regarding their ideals, and perhaps even lively debates. As a PhD student, I have no classes to attend and little human contact. I spend my days reading, taking notes and typing, either at home alone or in a cubicle in a library.

    I've had this feeling before, this need to be part of something, I guess that is why I have a blog and why I joined the university philosophy club, although I have never received so much as an email from them since, and I only have eight followers of my blog. This isolation is my own doing, I don't play sport, I am not in a book club, my hobbies all involve self-imposed isolation, like reading and drawing. Which isn't to say I can't be social, I love my friends and family, I am not sealed into my house with no escape. But they work of course and are busy with their own lives. I guess I had a sense of community while working in a large high school for the last five years and I don't have that now as an unemployed full time student on a scholarship.

    So what club or organisation could I join? Its not that I am bored, I am occupied between my study, my reading for pleasure and drawing, watching films and seeing friends on the weekends. I just think maybe there is room for more. Something not too expensive, something that doesn't require an enormous time commitment as I still need to work on my PhD, and probably something that doesn't involve me taking on a religion or wearing Lycra. Any ideas? What do you do?


    Edit. PS. What about some life drawing classes? I haven't done those since I studied visual art ten years ago. Found some here and here. Might be an idea... certainly no Lycra involved!

Post Title

What to do...


Post URL

http://popeyesmotto.blogspot.com/2011/01/queen-of-clubs-image-credit-i-think-i.html


Visit Trend Clip Art for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts