Who is Martin Reynolds?


    I am currently reading e.e cumming's The Enormous Room. I picked up this foxed and dog eared Penguin classic up from a Lifeline Bookfest in Toowoomba (100km SW of Brisbane) last year. Curiously there is an inscription inside the cover under the name Martin Reynolds. He wrote:

    Aug 1971.
    I think I shall have to read more of ee cummings, having enjoyed this book more than somewhat. Partly, because first books always have a certain raw charm.

    The inscription is a little mystery and a reminder of this books past life. Who was Martin Reynolds and who gave his book to a charity? I googled Martin Reynolds and found that it is a more popular name than I could have imagined; turns out Martin Reynolds was a British athlete, a banker, a designer, senior executive etc. etc. I wonder who my Martin Reynolds was? Who wrote this sweet reflection and revealed unintentionally their thirty-nine year old insight?

    It reminds me of an article I posted the other day about lost libraries and the way writers libraries are divided up and sold after their deaths. Maybe in that light, this little scribble is a bitter sweet find, or just raw charm? Maybe I should leave little notes for future readers of my books? I love it when you buy a secondhand book and find an old bookmark or train ticket in it!

    Have you ever found anything interesting in a second hand book?

Post Title

Who is Martin Reynolds?


Post URL

http://popeyesmotto.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-am-currently-reading-e.html


Visit Trend Clip Art for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts